2012 Mileage Club

Sounds good!

Currently I am at 453.71 miles for the year but am hoping to get one more run in before the end of the year. I have 219.87 barefoot and 233.84 minshod. Not gonna make my 500 as I had hoped, but that's ok because I seem to be running healthier now. I will give a final tally after Saturdays run.

I'm done. I sat out about half the year with various injuries: muscle-tightness-induced TOFP misdiagnosed as a stress reaction/fracture, MCL sprain, ITBS, and now frost nip. Hopefully 2013 will see me running injury-free.
For 2012: 417 miles, all but five miles were barefoot-barefoot, skin-to-ground. About 100 miles were sub-freezing.
Next year I'm shooting for somewhere between 1000-1500 total mileage, about 90-95 percent bare.
I've also signed up for my first races, a 10k in April and a half-Mary in August. Woo hoo.

Happy trails everyone!

I'm done. I sat out about half the year with various injuries: muscle-tightness-induced TOFP misdiagnosed as a stress reaction/fracture, MCL sprain, ITBS, and now frost nip. Hopefully 2013 will see me running injury-free.
You'll do alright next year. Just gotta keep learning how to listen to your body. I keep telling myself the same thing and so far, knock on wood, I'm doing a much better job than I was at the beginning of the year. I was just figuring out the minimum mileage a week for me to hit my 500 miles for the year next year and it is so easily attainable (basically 9.6 miles/week) as long as I quit trying to push myself harder and farther than my body wants to go. Seems my body really feels good in the 10-15 miles/week range. Maybe near the end of next year I will be up near 20 or more a week, but I don't plan on getting all fixated on the numbers and upping the mileage just to hit an arbitrary number goal. I just want to keep running and just doing what feels good and keeps me running injury free.

You'll do alright next year. Just gotta keep learning how to listen to your body. I keep telling myself the same thing and so far, knock on wood, I'm doing a much better job than I was at the beginning of the year. I was just figuring out the minimum mileage a week for me to hit my 500 miles for the year next year and it is so easily attainable (basically 9.6 miles/week) as long as I quit trying to push myself harder and farther than my body wants to go. Seems my body really feels good in the 10-15 miles/week range. Maybe near the end of next year I will be up near 20 or more a week, but I don't plan on getting all fixated on the numbers and upping the mileage just to hit an arbitrary number goal. I just want to keep running and just doing what feels good and keeps me running injury free.
Yah, the only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the ITBS, and I'm starting to get a better feel for how to prevent that.
The other stuff was either freak, like the MCL injury, or ignorance, like the sports medicine guy telling me I had a stress reaction, when in fact it was just tight shin muscles causing the never-ending TOFP.
I think 20-25 mpw, running three times a week, is very realistic for me, but I hope to be up to more like 30-35 mpw by year's end if everything goes well. Initially I'll remain focused on getting my pace down, consistently in the 8-9 mm range, where my form feels nice and smooth. Then I'll build up the mileage patiently. Hopefully we've both learned patience this year!

Reactions: NickW
Hopefully we've both learned patience this year!
I don't know if I've learned any patience, but I think I've just learned to stop worrying so much about distances. Who cares really if I can't run as far as you or many of the others on here? It's an internal competition thing to me I think, or measuring stick I guess would be a better way to put it. I need to stop doing that and just focus on what I can do. The last month or two I've been able to do that and I'm really hoping I can keep just doing what I can do and not comparing myself to anyone else (that includes not comparing myself to the much younger me when I was a much better runner).

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't know if I've learned any patience, but I think I've just learned to stop worrying so much about distances. Who cares really if I can't run as far as you or many of the others on here? It's an internal competition thing to me I think, or measuring stick I guess would be a better way to put it. I need to stop doing that and just focus on what I can do. The last month or two I've been able to do that and I'm really hoping I can keep just doing what I can do and not comparing myself to anyone else (that includes not comparing myself to the much younger me when I was a much better runner).
I agree a competitive attitude is pretty useless for recreational runners. There will always be someone, or in fact millions, who can run faster or longer than we can. And you're spot on about putting our younger selves behind us. I wasn't so much competing against my younger self as stupidly assuming I could get back to good general fitness as effortlessly as before.

But I still want to run longer as an intrinsic goal. I just enjoy those long, meditative runs, those little journeys that take me away from my day-to-day life. I like the way urban geographies transform a bit when viewed as a running route. I've already got a few nice 15- and 20-mile routes charted that I'm looking forward to running by this summer or fall. But I also like faster tempo runs, and the even faster intervals. It's all good.

I agree a competitive attitude is pretty useless for recreational runners. There will always be someone, or in fact millions, who can run faster or longer than we can. And you're spot on about putting our younger selves behind us. I wasn't so much competing against my younger self as stupidly assuming I could get back to good general fitness as effortlessly as before.

But I still want to run longer as an intrinsic goal. I just enjoy those long, meditative runs, those little journeys that take me away from my day-to-day life. I like the way urban geographies transform a bit when viewed as a running route. I've already got a few nice 15- and 20-mile routes charted that I'm looking forward to running by this summer or fall. But I also like faster tempo runs, and the even faster intervals. It's all good.
I like long runs for that meditative quality like you do, but I hate the way I feel after the long runs. My body just doesn't like it and aches. Now, I'm not sure if that's just because I am overweight or if it is just a sign that I shouldn't be running those distances.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Well, just finished up my last run of the year. Unfortunately it was 31 deg F so I had to wear minshoes. I officially finished off the year at 455.89 miles. Of those 219.87 were barefoot and 236.02 were minshod. I could have kept pushing hard this month but I thought I would have been asking for trouble and an injury if I had kept that up. There's always next year to hit over 500, miles which I don't see any reason I shouldn't be able to now that I seem to have figured out the balance that keeps me injury free.

Sitting at 1,826 miles with two days to go. 1,115 miles barefoot and the balance in a combination of different mini-shoes (not all at the same time, although that would show some incredible talent). Hoping to get to 1,850 by Monday which to me is a major accomplishment for someone who could not even run a mile without collapsing in a big pile of hurt 4 years ago.

Now, I'm not sure if that's just because I am overweight or if it is just a sign that I shouldn't be running those distances.
I think we both need to work up more slowly, that's all. One long run per week, and add no more than one mile to that weekly long run every 3-4 weeks. That's my plan anyway. The weight will take care of itself the more you run I think. I've gained a few pounds since my MCL injury. I'm sure it will come off when I'm running plus 20 mpw consistently again.
I actually do not know my years mileage. Like BG, I ran unplugged for a lot of the time. If I had to guess I would think it will be around the 800 miles, all barefoot or in min shoes. Have not worn coffins for 2 years. Next year going for 1000 miles or more. :)
Unless your routes vary a lot, it's pretty easy to use Google Maps to get a reasonable estimate of distance. That's what I used to do before I got my Garmin in June. And I still like to use it for new routes.

I'll not mention the name Maffetone :D - but I will say take it easy and you'll get there!
Yah, let's not go there, although I appreciate the encouragement. I'm sticking to the 'Kenyan' protocol, because I always seem to run into trouble, quite literally, when I slow the pace down. I know it's counter-intuitive to build up running short and fast rather than long and slow, but it was working up until I picked up this lingering head cold 10 days ago.