10-20-13 My first marathon!

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
aa0c98_d8c71456381b998fd5f337c6a54f65e2.png_srz_183_96_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

The day finally came for the big race. I knew I was ready, and was going to finish. Just a little over two years ago when I was still shod I never thought I would do a marathon. After relearning how to run, the thought of a marathon was back on the table. So for the past two years you could say I had been training for this. More officially I had been training for this since I did the half marathon in May and subsequently signed up for the full this fall.

IMG_0738-700.JPG

Packet pick up at the convention center.

I tapered a bit more than I had planned due to straining my left leg a little on that last long run. Luckily a few days off and low mileage week helped it rebound quick. Then I rolled into my two week planned taper. So I sort of tapered 3 weeks. And I hadn’t really run with full force since straining the leg, so I was a bit nervous it might come back up during the race. But I really focused hard on setting myself up right, massage earlier that week, and carb loading 3 days out (I generally don't really carb load). I tried the all natural fruit approach for carbs. Night before meal was 12oz wild salmon I grilled along with some wild rice, fruit, and a couple glasses of Malbec. Race morning was one soft boiled egg, banana, and I munched on grapes through the car ride and right up to the starting line. Speaking of which...

IMG_0743-525.JPG
A cold, dark morning in Columbus.

First race I've ever done that started out in the dark. And as big as it was (~17,000) I made sure to get there early. Getting into downtown at my last big race was a huge problem when I only showed up 30 minutes or so prior to race start. Luckily I work downtown and have access to my own companies garage that will be 99% vacant, and just a few blocks away. When I shut off the ignition it was 5:57AM, corrals open from 6-7 and race start at 7:30.

It was cold that morning, coldest day since spring in fact. 36-37F at gun time. No big deal to some, but I generally cant run much under 40F without numbness, and that after acclimating slowly, not 60's to 30's with nothing in between. Luckily being warm recently, the ground probably was warmer than the air temp made it seem. But I had 45 minutes of standing around at the starting line, so decided to put on a pair of socks to help keep the feet warm. It matched well with my garbage bag jacket, and black sock arm sleeves. :wacky: It helped I am sure, but unfortunately come gun time the feet were darn cold and numb. My leaking hydration pack didn’t help either. It's a very slow leak, but 45+ minutes of it on my back and it had soaked through the pack and soaked my back and down the backside of my shorts. Brrrr. Need to get a new bladder.

fireworks-waveA-700.jpg
And the 'A' wave is off with a bang I mean fireworks!

They did wave starts, I was in the 'B' section with a 4hr estimated finish time. Not sure how many waves they had. They also had some big fireworks that shot up in the sky. And they did the fireworks with each wave. Here is what it looked like from my perspective when the B wave was set free...

IMG_0751-700.JPG
B corral is a go!
Finally! And I'm shivering with bare shoulders and pits, and well, feet! Even with the wave starts, it was crowded. I should have tried to get closer to the front, but figured I'd let myself get stuck in the masses as a means to warm up and not go to fast. 7 lanes wide and shoulder to shoulder for several miles. A couple miles in I had to pee so bad I had to have my first experience using the port-a-johns mid race. In fact I had to use it again later too, so two potty breaks for me on the clock. I should have held off to the next ones, as there was actually a wait at the first ones, but not too long. For the first time yet barefoot, I got the back of my heel stepped on by another runner. I didn’t even flinch, my numb soles had all my attention.​
bexley1-700.jpg
Still warming up.
A pair of cheap cotton gloves and black poly dress socks with the toe end cut off served me well. It took a good 2-3 miles for my feet to warm up, and it wasn’t until 5-6 miles that I pitched the gloves. I kept my sleeves on though, as soon after I took the gloves off I started getting cold again. I just don’t warm up as fast at a 9minute+ pace than I do at a 5k or 10k pace.​
The roads narrowed through Bexley, so just as things were spreading out they were condensed again. It seems like I would be stuck in a crowd for the entire race! I made my way though openings when I could, but tried not to bob and weave so much. I figured if I was more conservative at the beginning it would just be more energy to increase the pace toward the end. I hope.​
IMG_0753-700.JPG
Heading back into downtown.
The shot above was probably around mile 12. Still packed and crowded. It wasn’t until we crossed Nationwide Boulevard, just about 13 miles, that the halfers turned off toward their finish line. All the sudden everything opened up, just in time for me to start slowing down! Well I didn’t slow down much, but I was just finding a comfortable pace in the upper 8 minute range. I crossed 13.1 at about 1:55. Not too shabby, I'm on track to beat 4 hrs I hope! Just had to hang on to my pace the second half.​
Thanks to rbondi for giving me the suggestion on dates for fuel.
thumbsup.gif
Starting at 10-11 miles in I ate a date about every 2 miles up to 20 miles, where I planed to race it to the finish. I hadn't had much chance to test em during long runs so was a bit unsure. They were pretty thick and sweet, and just about on the edge of what I could tolerate running (much better than the GU's I tried which made me sick to my stomach). I felt a lot better to knowing they are all natural fruit, and I needed not support some chemical company.​
osu-700.JPG
The Ohio State Stadium.
One really neat part about this course was running through the OSU horseshoe. And it came at a good time, about 17 miles, when I was hitting the lowest point of my run. I felt fine, just my mind wanted to settle me in on a bit slower of a pace. I had never saw it before, so I got on my phone and snapped a couple pics.​
OSU2-700.JPG
Coming through the chute.
I'm not really a big sports fan but it was really neat to run through the 'Shoe. The slowest part of my run, but it kept the spirits up and started preparing me to make my move at the end. The timing pad their captured my time, and between there and 20 miles was my slowest split at 9:34. I was worried I might not hit that 4hr goal, but at the same time I could feel the energy building back up, especially after popping another medjool date.​
OSU1-700.jpg
In the 'Shoe.
I ran out of water shortly after Ohio State. Not sure if I underestimated, or the leak was worse. I wanted to get a last drink before I picked the pace up, so I didn't break out into my race until I got water close to the 21 mile mark I think it was. And I was finally warmed up enough to pitch my arm socks. I had a special playlist for the final stretch, my most motivational songs, so after fiddling with my phone for a second I bolted. My legs were feeling pretty fatigued, I know I've been using them more than I ever had. But I just felt like I had so much energy and motivation, and I just felt happy that I wasn’t burning out and instead I was going to kick this final stretch and finish for sure. I started getting an upset stomach soon after... that last date might not be digested enough for this pace. Look down at the Garmin and it was showing me upper 7 minutes. Maybe a bit too fast, and that might explain the stomach. I backed down to low 8's and just bounced around there. Not that it was easy, I was constantly slowing back down to around nine, realizing it, then speeding back up into the upper 7's. Passing folks left and right. Seemed like everyone was slowing down and many were dropping down to walk.​
intheAcrowd-700.jpg
Looks like I caught up to the 'A' Team.
Am I lifting my foot too much there? A lot of my other pics show this too. First time I've bought the race pics so I get to see kind of what my form looks like. And well I think I have lots of issues with my form. But anyhow...​
Finally we are heading back into downtown once again. The crowds are growing bigger, people cheering, DJ's announcing my name and cheering for the barefoot guy. I could really feel my muscles straining, and couldn’t quite hold my fast pace and slowly drifted back towards 9 minutes. Until the final turn onto Nationwide Boulevard. It just so happens the final couple tenths of a mile were the steepest downhill of the whole race. And spectators were packed along the sides cheering. I let loose into a full on sprint. Probably gained 50-100 yards in the last stretch, passing several people.​
finish-crop-e700.jpg
Form? Not much of that left, only speed. :D
finish1-700.jpg
I think I strained... everything. Whoopsie.
A quick check of Garmin had me around a 4 minute mile for the last 30 seconds or so. I recall starting to get a bit dizzy. So I got a little carried away? :facepalm: The bad part was crossing the finish line... a few steps after the line I pretty much came to a complete stop as the finish area was jam packed. Within seconds I could feel all the muscles in my leg just cinching tight. I really wanted to do an easy cool down jog but there was no way. Even after picking up my goodies and everything, working my way through the park, to the complete other side before things opened up.​
feet-700.JPG
Traditional foot shot post race.
The feet were about the only thing on me that didn't hurt! No blisters or even hot spots. My heels took a bit of a beating in that final sprint in, but that was about it for foot discomfort.​
By the time I had space to jog I tried but found I couldn't. I mean really my legs wouldn't engage in flight. Best I could muster up was a moderate walk. My parking garage was actually the very building up against the end of the park, so I dropped my stuff at my truck and walked laps around the garage for 10 minutes and did some light stretching. I knew I over did it, and was going to be in some pain. Surely enough, next day I was more hobbling around work than walking, and even had to bow out of the lunch walk for 3 days knowing I couldn’t even keep up with a regular walking pace. I had a massage session Monday, and that really helped, but it still took a few days to recover. Maybe next time I'll be better trained and it wont take such a toll on the body to pull off a marathon. We’ll see, as I am surely going for another!​
webstats2.JPG
A couple things to note that I highlighted on my stats... my fastest split was the final 10k stretch, first time I've ever been able to pull off a decent finish in any race really. And while not as competitive as my shorter races I still think 1441/5496 is pretty respectable for my first! But what was even more amazing I thought was that last stretch it shows I passed 368 runners and wasn’t passed by any others! Now after I took that screen shot they updated the numbers and now it shows that like 5 passed me I think, but still pretty good I think! I wasn’t going to re screen shot, save and upload it though. And how dare they change the numbers a couple days later? Is it people that didnt hit the sensor for some reason? Did they write in and asked to be added in or something?​
Something else my mom identified right away when she saw my time of 3:48... I was born at 3:48, so I guess that was my time in more ways than one.​
But I had a blast. It never really felt like I was at a low, or that it was just dragging on. I felt strong and full of energy. And this is from someone who never thought they'd do a marathon just 2 years ago!​

Yeah Mon!
So cool I'll even let the Ohio State stuff slide.
Well done, and great report!

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Thanks all! There is still a lot I need to work on, but I wouldn't have got to this point without the help of this forum. I know I tend to ramble, but I tried to put a lot of pics up too so you can see the highlights and don't have to read it all lol.
Great report Tristan, and Congratulations! Sounds like you trained really well. I wouldn't be surprised if you trimmed significant time off your next one.
Lets hope! I'm definitely going for another. Pilot pointed out late in my training that I wasn't doing quite enough miles, I didn't really inquire early enough about what I should have been doing training wise, so that I'll work on next time for sure. My legs were probably the most sore they had ever been in my life that I can recall afterwards (though my first and second half marathon were similar). A lot of that I think was the sprint at the end combined with the sudden stop. Not sure how that can be dealt with. I think I've seen some runners turn back after crossing the line and head back into the course to cool down, but I don't know if thats something that only elite get away with or what.
My bad, well done Tristan, sorry about name mixup.
No prob dutchie, Zetti and I both just did our first... and we actually came in really close, don't think we could have timed it any closer unless we were running together! Maybe a bit of a friendly challenge for next year Zetti, since now we know we are on equal footing?
Congrats Tristan ... I think it is a good thing that I was born at 7:08.

How tough was it at the start with the temperature near freezing? I don't mind cold but standing around for 45 minutes has got to be rough, even in socks.
It was rough at first, but I am a cold weather wuss. I had a much heavier pair of socks I had in the truck that I should have used instead, but opted for the medium weight pair (in my garage it seemed much warmer). I wonder if I should have actually worn a pair of throwaway shoes to the starting line, as the feet were pretty numb well before the race even started. I did walk barefoot which might have been my problem. I thought the walk (~half mile) from the garage to the start line might warm em up, and I didn’t want to get the socks all dirty or wet before I got there, so I put em on once I arrived, but the feet were already very cold and never really warmed up, just continued to get colder.But since I started off in the crowd going slow I think it helped my form, prevented me from pushing off more like I do at faster paces. I made sure to lift my feet. It took a few miles (2-4?) for sensation to come fully back. I was really worried starting off numb would have dire consequences in this long of a race, but my form early on must have been good, as I had no problems with the feet after the initial numbness went away.
That's awesome, dude!! Great pictures, and great time!
Thanks 5t3ph! They got a few good ones of me, but I was surprised they didn't have a camera as you crossed the line. Especially since on their website the product I like and would have got was their "finish line photo" a shot with the runner crossing the line with the time put in a box near the top of the pic with the race logo and everything. I actually did a raised arm victory like pose as I crossed the line. Oh well. I actually took all the other pictures above myself that don’t have me in them (except for first race start pic), I carried my iPhone just for the camera lol! Being my first, I wanted to capture the moment I guess. I actually had two phones on me... long story but one I use for music and the other for photos... I need to upgrade, and carry less weight next time!
Yeah Mon!
So cool I'll even let the Ohio State stuff slide.
Well done, and great report!
LOL, and thanks! Don’t worry about me I'm not a native Ohioan and don't take sides in sports. It was just neat to see it, I've lived here for 17 years and never been.

after-700.JPG
Here is a shot I was going to post and forgot. Looking back towards the finish line on Nationwide Boulevard right after the race. Nationwide Arena is on the left, and the 5 story building on the right hand side my company uses (3rd-5th floor) and I used to work by the center window of the 4th floor. A few times in the past years when I happened to be working Saturday or Sunday we'd get to watch the finish line from directly above on this and other races! Or my friends that were working while I was racing could watch for me. Earlier this year though they moved my department back to 'the mothership' a block away.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Great Job Tristan, well done. I wouldn't worry too much about your form, if you had that speed and no foot soreness after then I'm green with envy. The sprint at the end probably didn't cause any more soreness, you would have been sore anyway. That's where Pilot's recommendation of more weekly miles is going to help in the future. I'm with you on the dead stop at the finish. So hard to avoid at races. You want to finish strong with people cheering you on, but then you have to put on the breaks and slowly be lead out of the finish line. A pet peeve of mine is runners going back up the course to cool down or to run back in with a friend. It's like rubbing it in the face of the slower guys and adds to congestion of the course and makes it hard for the timing officials. Easy enough to find a side street to cool down. Sorry for the mini rant. Again, Congratulations! Way to represent!

Congrats and nice time!!

Running a race in cold conditions is always tricky for us barefoot runners. I have a marathon on Nov. 17th, going to be in the low 30's. I'm going to try a new tactic, picking up a cheap pair water shoes for $12 at wal-mart and will wear thick socks just to walk to the start line and waiting in the coral, then discard them right at start time.

Congrats and nice time!!

Running a race in cold conditions is always tricky for us barefoot runners. I have a marathon on Nov. 17th, going to be in the low 30's. I'm going to try a new tactic, picking up a cheap pair water shoes for $12 at wal-mart and will wear thick socks just to walk to the start line and waiting in the coral, then discard them right at start time.

I'll save you 11 bucks and the need to by those junk water shoes, Gentile. Buy the charcoal toe heaters (usually $1). Instructions say not to place on bare skin, but I've never been burned. Some have adhesive, but they might come off in the pre-race madness. Maybe two pairs of your worn out socks with the heaters in between? Now for us less studly runners, the socks also make a good backup if the conditions get rough, so instead of discarding, I just keep them in a pack or pocket.