1 Year Anniversary

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Today marks my one year anniversary running barefoot/minimal. I ran for many years shod, and looking for a new challenge I decided to give barefoot running a shot. I got hooked, and the rest is history.

Year Summary:

Sept 15, 2009 - first barefoot run 1/4 mile

November 25, 2009 - Ran my first barefoot race - 5 mile turkey trot

Ran barefoot into December - Bought KSO's

February 7, 2010 - Ran a 20K road race in KSO's - Temp 6 degrees.

April 2010 - matched my shod speed running barefoot

May 2, 2010 - Ran my first marathon ever in KSO's

June 27, 2010 - Ran first barefoot half marathon

Sept. 6, 2010 - Ran 20k road race barefoot - Beat my shod time from previous year.

Sept 15, 2010 - 6 mile barefoot to celebrate!

Total Yearly mileage:

Barefoot - 487

Vibram KSO's - 514

Future plans are to continue to run barefoot happy and healthy. Next year run my second marathon, but this time barefoot.

Thanks barefoot community for the advice, tips, and motivation.

Sweet!Sounds like you were

Sweet!

Sounds like you were an experienced runner before you tried barefoot. Would you be willing to dish any more about how your perceptions about running have changed (if they have)? I imagine you went through some physical adjustments, but I just wonder if you feel it has changed you in any other way. It's your anniversary, feel free to get all abstract and woo-woo. Or not. :)

This is awesome, LBF!  I

This is awesome, LBF! I remember following your story from "that other place," and you've really grown over the past year, not just as a barefoot runner, but as a runner, since running barefoot adds a whole new dimension only we who run barefoot could understand.

Congratulations LBF, that's

Congratulations LBF, that's awesome! I wish I had documented my first barefoot run. I know it was in March of this year but that's about it.

Thanks all,  I was kind of

Thanks all, I was kind of obsessed of documenting my first year, I am actually glad I hit a year, now I can chill out with numbers, and just run.

Stomper: I have been running about 17 years before I transitioned to barefoot running. I always was playing some kind of sport, or doing something active when I was younger, but always ran.

I definitely went through some physcial adjustments, I was a complete heel striker. I had to really start over and adjust to being a forefoot runner. In the beginning I experience multiple TMTS's, a strain in my ankle, some tendon and achilles issues, I had all of the common beginner symptoms.

My perceptions towards running hasn't really changed that much to be honest, but running barefoot has definitely put some more excitement into it.

Great job!!! Keep up the good

Great job!!! Keep up the good work. I'm coming up on my one year as well, but my novice year has not been quite as spectacular as yours.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS